Subject: Re: H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spin time question)

Re: H340 HDD spinning constantly in USB mode? (and general disk spin time question)

From: Mike Hodson <mystica_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:54:45 -0700

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de> wrote:

> I think you misunderstood Paul's explanation. Setting the anti-skip
> buffer to 5 seconds doesn't mean that the buffer is refilled every 5
> seconds. It means that the buffer is refilled 5 seconds before the music
> would stop. In general, you want to have zero anti-skip buffer, i.e.
> spin up the disk as late as possible before running out of buffered
> data. The anti-skip buffer is the safety margin you have in this case
> (for the price of battery life of course).

Indeed, it does seem that I misunderstood the entire concept of this
buffer, and the re-explanation. I think this means that we need to
come up with a slightly better description of what this command
actually controls.

I think it can be summed up as "Amount of music remaining in memory
before the buffer attempts to refill."
Is this correct?

>> Thanks for this info- I will set mine to 10m now (also an H3xx)
>
> This is not a good idea if you want to get decent runtime. Actually I
> don't know why anybody would want to have an anti-skip buffer of 10 mins.

My slightly backwards thinking brain apparently thought that
"anti-skip buffer" meant the amount of music that would be stored in
ram that needed to deplete before the disk started accessing again.
I'm not entirely sure why.

I've gone and re-set it to 30s, which should be reasonable with a HDD
even if I am walking or riding my bike. With my Sansa I've gone and
set it to 5s, as there is no chance of a skip from Flash anyway.

Thanks for clearing this up, finally.