Subject: Re: which player should i get?

Re: which player should i get?

From: Andrew Bennett <>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:11:23 -0800

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:41 PM, John Morris <>wrote:

> So, and not to be annoying here, is there no one player that someone can
> recommend that I can go buy that will work with Rockbox? Otherwise, I'll
> just wait til more players are supported, but since I'll be doing a lot of
> traveling next year especially, I wanted to get a good mp3 player I could
> use accessibly.

There are no mp3 players currently sold "new" that will run Rockbox. From a
recent thread,, offers "Rockbox ready" reconditioned Sansa e200 series v1 players
(I just checked their site and the 2GB e250 is listed as being in stock for
$30). From another more recent posting to this list, it appears that work
on the v2 players is progressing and Rockbox may run on them in the future.

If you want a player cheap and right away, I'd recommend going the route (or finding some other way to get a used or reconditioned
player; I do not recall seeing anyone post the results of their experiences
ordering from If you want a new player and can wait a while (I
have no idea how long "a while" will be), watch the Sansa v2 progress.

I don't pay much attention to discussions on this list about other players,
so I don't know anything about their availability or the status of Rockbox
on newer hardware revisions.

For the record, I'm very happy with my Sansa e260 (v1). It's a great player
and I've had no problems with it at all, but I don't use any of the
accessibility functions so I can't comment on that aspect of the Sansa

Andrew Bennett

List admin: