Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 13:45:02 -0600

Purple Dynasty wrote:
> What is the current status of this effort? Its a patch being
> considered for inclusion (being "committed"?)?
Any patch in the tracker is "being considered" unless it's clearly
marked as "rejected." In the case of software poweroff, it seems less
likely than most. It doesn't seem reasonable to throw away binary size
on such a basic function since every player has a button reserved for it
already. Generally speaking, or goal is to fix problems with the
software, not the hardware. Picking a player with buttons physically
suited to your use habits is more a personal consideration than a
software consideration.
> Can we expect an album art resize and a power-off feature in a release
> of Rockbox?

We can make no guarantees either way for either of those. Album Art
resize is at least something the core developers want to see committed,
and the main hurdles holding it back are simply technical concerns with
the patch. There's already a power-off feature, it's the power button. A
power-off menu item seems to be an issue of debate, but has little in
the way of "strong" justifying factors at this time.
> I suspect that adding the power-off patch would screw-up the voice
> menu, unless it too were updated - no?

Simply build a voice file from the language after patching in the patch.