Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:20:12 -0600

Sander Sweers wrote:

> It is not about making sure the player is off. The issue is that there
> is no way to tell before and during the spinup if you pressed stop
> long enough for it to shutdown. If it was a menu option you would be
> sure it is in the shutting down process.

And how can you tell before there's visual feedback that your press of
"Select" on the menu entry registered? That was my point: You still have
the exact same problem.

> That makes no sense the H340 does not have a power button.The play
> button is used for startup and I can not understand why you ever would
> want to add extra visual feedback..

I was referring to the button that performs the shutdown function.
Whether this is a button labeled "Play" or a button actually labeled
"Power", functionally it can be thought of as "the button that powers
down the player from within Rockbox."

You're the one saying "You can't know if you've held the button long
enough." I thought you wanted visual feedback. Simply having a menu
entry would not ensure you knew it was powering down until you received
some sort of feedback.