Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: constantine \(on laptop\) <"constantine>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:06:06 -0600

> You don't "know" you've pressed select until you see visual feedback. Or
> at least, you "know" it exactly as much as you "know" you've held down
> the button that shuts down the player from any screen. That's what
> confuses me: If you don't "know" you've pressed the shutdown button
> until there's feedback from the drive spin, how do you "know" you've
> done it on a menu entry until there's feedback?
Every time I press enter on an item, the "enter" or "select" key has never
failed me yet.

> If you do hold the button too short a time (nothing I've ever had a
> problem with, it's not a particularly long hold) the idle shutdown will
> still turn off your player, and while idle very, very little battery is
> consumed anyway. And you can always just hold down the button a little
> longer to be sure. It'll still take less time than digging the player
> out of a pocket, looking at a screen, navigating to a selection, and
> then selecting it.
I somewhat disagree on this, since when using speech it can take up to 3
seconds longer. Sure its not a very long time, but I could very easily go to
the menu and shut down the player in less time it takes to hold the power
button, while still having the peace of mind it actually did shut down. I
have mine set to always idle, because when I charge it via a wall charger
and have it idle poweroff it powers down, then powers up, and puts a bit
more strain on the hard drive than I would like.

9:34 AM