Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:31:00 -0600

constantine (on laptop) wrote:
> Every time I press enter on an item, the "enter" or "select" key has
> never failed me yet.

Then how does the "power" key fail you, exactly? This is exactly what I
fail to understand. How is selecting a menu item *more* reliable than
holding a single button, when both of them are just that: a button press?
> I somewhat disagree on this, since when using speech it can take up to
> 3 seconds longer.
How does speech make the shutdown process longer, exactly? By the time
it starts speaking, you have your feedback, so waiting for the speech is
irrelevant. This applies both to the menu and to a button.
> I have mine set to always idle, because when I charge it via a wall
> charger and have it idle poweroff it powers down, then powers up, and
> puts a bit more strain on the hard drive than I would like.

My player does not shutdown as "idle" when wall power is being supplied,
and I don't believe it's supposed to since many players automatically
power back on if receiving charge. Again, this sounds like another bug,
and "working around it" is not the proper solution when there are bugs.
Identifying the cause and fixing it is the proper solution.