Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 17:27:45 -0600

Robert Keevil wrote:
> Hence why I haven't committed it myself. On targets without a
> physical power button I do find it useful in day-to-day usage, perhaps
> since it's quicker than the 4 second wait needed with the play/pause
> button on an ipod (but only if you have the player out, already
> infront of you, etc). But that is just my opinion... it's such a
> minor thing I haven't felt the need to argue for it.
I'm more or less neutral on the idea. I don't feel a "Reboot" option is
at all necessary (any time the player needs rebooted by Rockbox, it
should prompt the user if they wish to reboot in my opinion). But I
wanted to understand why people feel a shutdown option is necessary or
particularly useful, and so far it mostly seems to boil down to "I'd
rather navigate a menu for a couple seconds than hold a button for a
couple seconds." Even in the few cases where navigating a menu is
shorter time wise, it seems to me at least that using the single button
can be done with much less 'active' involvement with the player.