Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Jacob Rau <jacob.rau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 19:56:56 -0500

> On the Sansa, the power button is _very_ stiff and close to
> other buttons.
>
> Are you sure you mean the e200 and not the c200? On the c200 the
> button is close to other buttons. On the e200 it's separated
> from the other buttons, and on the lower left corner of the
> face. Not only is it very easy to locate by feel, but I find
> myself completely unable to press other buttons while pressing
> it on my e200.
>
> Apparently this happens to me a _lot_ on my e260. I was not at all
> aware I was pressing multiple buttons, I just thought that I either
> wasn't actually pressing the power button or that I wasn't holding it
> down for long enough. I can now reliably repeat this behavior. I can
> press the power button and intentionally press another button, but even
> knowing that I am pressing the other button it doesn't "feel" like I am
> pressing down on the other button.

I thought for a moment that I was crazy when Paul responded. Now that I
pulled my e280 out and messed around with it for a moment, I can
definitely say a few things.

Unless I keep the majority of my thumb off the body of the player, other
buttons are overlapped and pressed when I attempt to shut down. The
player will not shut down when other buttons are pressed during the
power hold.

And the delay is too long, IMO. With any kind of a consensus, it would
be nice to have this delay shortened.

Whether or not my patches will be accepted, I think I will try digging
into the code to change this up for a personal custom build.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having frustration with this. Shall I file
a bug?

Jacob