Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Mike Hodson <mystica_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:15:28 -0700

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> How is it irrelevant? You can achieve sleeping Rockbox and letting it idle
> poweroff with the exact same difficulty you can in the original firmware. If
> you're trying to compare "Rockbox poweroff" to "Apple idle and sleep" then
> it's an invalid comparison. Try comparing "Rockbox idle and sleep" to "Apple
> idle and sleep" instead.

Being the 'adding $0.02' guy, my comparison is as follows:

Apple's OF decides to make the player *act* like its shut down, versus
going back to a menu and waiting and the screen taking its timeout to
turn off and such. Apple -stops- and -blanks- rather fast, and
effectively disables scroll and any button short of the Play button.

Rockbox keeps the player usable for the timeout period before full
shutdown, which could possibly lead to inadvertent button presses in a
pocket shared with other items. Yes, i understand the Hold key, but 1
button vs 5 and a wheel or the 9 on my H320 that all can cause the
player to wake up is a definite departure from the iPod OF way of
running.

Adding to this, Apples firmware seems to keep the player in its
very-low-power state indefinitely versus waiting, restarting the disk,
saving state, and totally powering off (based on my rather short use
of an iPod Mini for about a week, I've personally owned Sansa and
iRiver players -- I don't know if this is true for the more recent
models).

Rockbox doesn't seem to have such a "indefinite suspend" mode that
allows for instant-on ability. I am forced to wait through about 12
seconds of powerup, spinup, boot (10s there) and finally the logo and
restarting playing (2-3s depending on how I count)

While this post includes absolutely nothing interesting in the way of
the whole menu option for shutdown, I hope it is a good comparison to
the iPod OF behavior.

Thought that this may help elaborate a few points for all to ponder
and/or discuss.