Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 19:30:59 -0600

Mike Hodson wrote:
> Yes, i understand the Hold key, but 1
> button vs 5 and a wheel or the 9 on my H320 that all can cause the
> player to wake up is a definite departure from the iPod OF way of
> running.

If you make it one *very* short button press (pause or stop) and one
switch in Rockbox (hold) you net the same effect, often in less time
than the OF can achieve it.
> Adding to this, Apples firmware seems to keep the player in its
> very-low-power state indefinitely
24-48 hours, not indefinitely. During which time the power continues to
drain, albeit slowly. Just pick a reasonable idle time in Rockbox and if
you're back in time, the idle power cost is almost trivial.
> I am forced to wait through about 12
> seconds of powerup, spinup, boot (10s there) and finally the logo and
> restarting playing (2-3s depending on how I count)

Picking a good idle timeout will help minimize how often you have to
wait, and better balance "power saving" vs "fast access to the software."

Not to mention, "Rockbox doesn't have an indefinite idle" is something
you fix by creating an indefinite idle, not all these other suggestions.