Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Jacob Rau <jacob.rau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:44:19 -0500

Paul Louden wrote:
> Jacob Rau wrote:
>>
>> It is irrelevant because I am speaking purely of the behavior of the
>> power button when turning the player off. Achieving power-off in the
>> original firmware (not idle power-off, mind you) is much easier than
>> achieving power-off in Rockbox for the reasons that I (and now Andrew)
>> have mentioned.
>>
> The original iPod firmware doesn't HAVE power off. Are you just ignoring
> this fact? In the original iPod firmware, if you hold down the button,
> it goes into a low power mode.
>
> In Rockbox, you can achieve the same general effect by simply pausing
> playback, which can be done in LESS time than the power down in the
> original firmware.
>
> I'm not sure you're understanding this.

There is no need to be abrupt. Can we have a neutral conversation about
this?

Let's look away from the iPod then. Forget I said anything about it.
Focus solely on the Sansa e2x0 port. Powering off in the OF is quick and
painless. Powering off in Rockbox is not. Two other users have confirmed
this now--the original poster and Andrew.

If you do want to discuss the iPod, there is no need to make the
distinction you make. With no earbuds in, I hold the power button down
for, say, five seconds. That should do it, right?

Nope.

I bumped the context menu button while holding the power button,
aborting the shut-down and letting the player continue down my playlist
of 500 songs. Idle poweroff doesn't take over for several more hours,
when the playlist finishes, assuming the battery isn't totally dead.

That was a hypothetical, but hopefully now you understand where I am
coming from. Why even have a power off function if the proper procedure
is to stop the music and let the idle power-off take over?

How about this: as soon as the user touches the power button, stop the
music. Then, if the user continues to hold it, power off.

Jacob