Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Mike Hodson <mystica_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:03:09 -0700

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> If you make it one *very* short button press (pause or stop) and one switch
> in Rockbox (hold) you net the same effect, often in less time than the OF
> can achieve it.

One could argue that if the player is in your pocket, buttons facing
the front of my pants so I can just press through the cloth and get
the button, that this would require either the effort of reaching into
the pocket and maneuvering to the hold switch, or just removing the
player entirely to turn on hold. I'm relatively satisfied with leaving
hold turned off and stopping as I rarely if ever have anything in my
left pocket that could bump the buttons.

> 24-48 hours, not indefinitely. During which time the power continues to
> drain, albeit slowly. Just pick a reasonable idle time in Rockbox and if
> you're back in time, the idle power cost is almost trivial.
> Picking a good idle timeout will help minimize how often you have to wait,
> and better balance "power saving" vs "fast access to the software."

Noted. I've got mine set to 30 minutes. I notice there is nothing
longer than an hour though.

> Not to mention, "Rockbox doesn't have an indefinite idle" is something you
> fix by creating an indefinite idle, not all these other suggestions.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing such a mode.

Mike