Subject: Re: Software "Off" switch?

Re: Software "Off" switch?

From: Purple Dynasty <purpledynasty_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:33:20 -0500

On Dec 3, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Jacob Rau wrote:

> I reported this as a bug. We will see if the binary-size-worriers
> will snuff this out. I will attempt (within this month...) to write
> a patch to fix this behavior.
>
> http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/9604
>
> Jacob

If you (or anyone else) compiles Rockbox for e200 Sansas using a
recent build that's been patched with a shutdown menu item and the
album art patch PLEASE email me so that I can obtain a copy of your
effort. Today I attempted to patch the album art into a recent built,
and the effort was seemingly beyond my basic Unix/OS X command
prompt abilities.

I've tried Kugel's build and a few others with varying degrees of
success (and failures) - they alter too much, or don't work at all
with what I've already installed.

As one that uses Rockbox on the e200 series, I can attest that
pressing the power button with the force and dexterity required to
shut down the player (and ONLY pressing that button) is not a task
that can be performed easily - even for those of us that do so
repeatedly every day. The problem becomes compounded when you apply a
cover like the Griffin product that places a case around the player.
Yes - I could have chosen a different player, but for the price and
features, the ease of pressing the power button wasn't high in the
list of purchasing considerations.
As for a few K of code - I'm sure the vast majority of Sansa e2x0
Rockbox users already have several rarely-used themes and fonts that
they'd more than gladly delete to make room for this addition that
might extend the life of the player. I seriously question how long
that button is going to withstand Magilla pressure.