Subject: Re: advice on a player?

Re: advice on a player?

From: Jürgen Hestermann <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 18:05:55 +0100

> Now, I was just looking for some advice on a player I could get that
> will work well with rockbox?

This question is asked very frequently and it was again just recently.
Maybe I am allowed to repeat the answer from Andrew Bennett here:

There are no mp3 players currently sold "new" that will run Rockbox.
 From a recent thread,, offers "Rockbox ready" reconditioned Sansa e200 series v1
players (I just checked their site and the 2GB e250 is listed as being
in stock for $30). From another more recent posting to this list, it
appears that work on the v2 players is progressing and Rockbox may run
on them in the future.

If you want a player cheap and right away, I'd recommend going the route (or finding some other way to get a used or
reconditioned player; I do not recall seeing anyone post the results of
their experiences ordering from If you want a new player
and can wait a while (I have no idea how long "a while" will be), watch
the Sansa v2 progress.

I don't pay much attention to discussions on this list about other
players, so I don't know anything about their availability or the status
of Rockbox on newer hardware revisions.

For the record, I'm very happy with my Sansa e260 (v1). It's a great
player and I've had no problems with it at all, but I don't use any of
the accessibility functions so I can't comment on that aspect of the
Sansa players.

Andrew Bennett

My son is using a Sansa e280 (v1) too and it seems realy a good one even
though some people are reporting some background noise that does not
happen to me.

Jürgen Hestermann.
List admin: