Subject: Re: Unicode question

Re: Unicode question

From: Johan Vromans <jvromans_at_squirrel.nl>
Date: 31 Dec 2008 14:50:36 +0100

Okay, I'll try to rephrase the question:

I have an Archos Recorder V1 and a lot of music with titles and
artists that have non-ASCII characters. The title and artist
information is contained within the file names, and also as ID3 tags.

The disk is VFAT, it supports Unicode file names. No problem. RockBox
shows the file names okay, including the non-ASCII characters. Great.

While playing, RockBox shows the correct artist and title information
on the WPS screen. I assume RockBox gets the info from the ID3 tags.
However, the ID3 tags are encoded in ISO-8859.1. I know for sure,
since I did that myself.

So, if the ID3 tags are in ISO-8859.1, how come RockBox displays the
contents correctly? Or am I overlooking something?

I ask this since I'm about to update all my MP3 files, and one of the
things I want to do is to store artist and title information in
Unicode in the ID3 tags. Before doing so, I want to make sure that the
information will be displayed correctly.

-- Johan