Subject: Re: Determining the version of an already installed bootloader

Re: Determining the version of an already installed bootloader

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:09:46 -0600

Leonard Morris wrote:
> What advantage is there in installing a newer "bootloader" rather than
> just keeping up with current builds? I went from Rockbox v3.0 to V3.1
> but didn't do anything with the "bootloader.? My Ipod video 60GB
> appears to be performing well thus far.
It depends entirely on what has changed. Sometimes new features won't be
available without the newest bootloader. In some cases Rockbox will even
refuse to function without it because of changes in hardware initialization.

Whether you need to update, and when, will depend entirely on if changes
have been made for your player.