Subject: Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

From: Johan Vromans <>
Date: 16 Feb 2009 09:13:58 +0100

"R.L. Horn" <> writes:

> one thing that's nagged me from day one is that there's a pop
> between MP3 tracks [...] Note that this is with gaplessly encoded
> streams. I can concatenate the files and they play just fine.

This may be the same behaviour that I encounter on my Archos Recorder
V1. Did you use mp3gain or a similar tool to adjust the gain levels of
the MP3 files?

> Given that files are buffered in advance, this seems unnecessary.
> Any ideas what could be causing this?

mp3gain adds some additional tags to the MP3 files (APE tags). While
RockBox correctly skips ID3 tags, last time I inspected the code it
did not skip the APE tags. This gives a soft, but audible, pop when
shifting between gaplessly encoded streams.

-- Johan
List admin: