Subject: Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:56:53 -0500

R.L. Horn wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, David Hall wrote:
>
>> R.L. Horn wrote:
>>> Bizarrely, if I encode using --nogap and --nogaptags, I don't, but the
>>> splice isn't as noticeable as with tagless (and gapless) streams.
>>>
>> In this latest experiment are you merging the two MP3 files into one?
>
> No, though I did strip the Info tags and concatenate the streams to
> confirm that they were, in fact, gapless.

I was under the impression that there is no reason to believe
concatenated LAME MP3 streams should be gapless.

What am I missing?

The (old dirty hack) --nogap switch only works when encoding a list of
files at once, and works by shifting the split point between files to an
even frame boundary - so there isn't a partially used frame at the end
of one file.
It _appears_ from your description of how you encoded on 2009-02-17 that
you did not use the --nogap switch properly - and should not be
expecting gapless results.

The (current standard) LAME behavior is to put details of the start and
end delay in the header so that compliant players can account for it.
Concatenating files should damage this behavior.
By _not_ concatenating you are getting gapless with this latest test
because you are encoding the way you are supposed to encode to get
gapless with LAME-aware decoders.

Please correct me if I am making a wrong assumption about what you're
actually doing here - but the problem appears to me to be in how you are
trying to force gapless.

--soap