Subject: Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

Re: Noticable Pop Between Tracks (Sansa)

From: R.L. Horn <lists_at_eastcheap.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:17:50 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, David Hall wrote:

> The (old dirty hack) --nogap switch only works when encoding a list of
> files at once, and works by shifting the split point between files to an
> even frame boundary - so there isn't a partially used frame at the end
> of one file.
> It _appears_ from your description of how you encoded on 2009-02-17 that
> you did not use the --nogap switch properly - and should not be
> expecting gapless results.

I'm perfectly aware of how to use the --nogap switch and my test files
are available for anyone to examine. I respectfully suggest that you do
so before accusing me of incompetence.

I don't like the --nogap hack either, but it's the only way to squeeze
gaplessness from the usual sort of idiot player that can't make file
transitions without a humongous delay. Strip, concatenate, copy.

> Concatenating files should damage this behavior.

Concatenated --nogap files *stripped of tags* sound seamless. Tagged
files, --nogap or no, played separately don't...at least not always.
This is where I run aground since, while I know a great deal about mp3
stream structure, I freely admit that I don't know jack about the actual
encoding and decoding.

At any rate, so far as I'm concerned, this discussion is over. From
making a simple observation I've allowed myself, like a damned fool, to
spend hours justifying my original claim. Well, I'm sick of it. If
anyone else cares (and, frankly, I don't anymore), he's free to take the
baton.