Subject: Re: Proposal for updating/maintenance of iPod Accesories Wiki page.

Re: Proposal for updating/maintenance of iPod Accesories Wiki page.

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:29:02 -0500

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> David Hall wrote:
>>
>> PS - we really need to track if Accessory Power is needed or not.  All
>> the tests to date should have been done with power on (Rockbox had not
>> yet turned it off) unless explicitly mentioned.  If in doubt cross
>> reference report date with the SVN revision which disabled power by
>> default.
>
>        But do we really need that in the Wiki page? The way I understand it,
> that page is only about what features of the item work or don't work with
> Rockbox.
>        Without knowing all the internals of Rockbox, would the Accessory
> Power be an issue?

The purpose of the wiki page is at least two fold in my mind.
1 - To inform users what is know to work, what is know to work with
limited features, and what is known not to work.
To serve this purpose one needs to know under what conditions an item
was tested. Power being one of those conditions.

2 - To track in a single location all the known elements of an accessory.
To serve this purpose every detail of the testing needs documented.
Tests performed since accessory power was turned off which do not
document the state of the accessory power supply are meaningless.
Meaningless in that negative test results w/o documenting the state of
the accessory power supply might be negative simply because power was
needed, yet was off.

Accessory power wastes ~1 hour of runtime. If an accessory can be
used w/o the power supply on - this is a great advantage.