Subject: Ladies & Gentlemen, we have SOUND :)

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have SOUND :)

From: Karl Kurbjun <>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:45:24 -0600

>From: Catalin Patulea <>
>Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 02:47:50 -0500
>Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, users and coders,
>We have sound on the Olympus m:robe 500i (a DM320 platform)!
>As I'm writing this e-mail, my m:robe is still looping the first 20
>seconds of Led Zeppelin's The Rover. (This was chosen because it was
>also the first song heard from a hardware MP3 decoder I hooked up to a
>PC's parallel port a few years ago.)
>There's no decoding going on yet; the m:robe reads pre-decoded PCM
>data into RAM and, through an elaborate combination of two DMA
>channels, a DSP and a serial port, shovels it out to the audio codec.
>Hooking this up to a software codec should be, relatively speaking,
>pretty easy.
>Rockbox, you've done it again.

Well it's been over a year, but as some of you have noticed from the
SVN logs we now have sound properly working on the M:Robe 500 (DM320)
with our decoders!

The first mp3 that was played is Dispatch - Bullet Holes. Many thanks
to Cat for his initial work getting this setup and his pointers along
the way! There is still a good amount of work to do on the port, but
it is quite usable as it stands.

List admin: