Subject: Re: New 240gig harddrive problems

Re: New 240gig harddrive problems

From: Steve Martin <martinsa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:36:17 -0400

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Steve Martin <martinsa_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got my new Toshiba MK2431GAH 240 GB harddrive and installed it
> on my 5.5G video ipod.
>
> Install went great.  Restore the hard drive with iTunes went ok.
> Installing with the Rockbox Utility went ok (first time using the
> utility - great app guys!).   However when I tried to start Rockbox, I
> get the following message and then it hangs:
>
> *PANIC*
> Unsupported physical sector size: 4096
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
>
> Regards,
> Steve Martin

Ok, sorry to reply to my own post, but from what I've been able to
research on my own I'm pretty concerned that I've bricked my ipod.

It seems to be getting the sector size error in the bootloader stage.
Since it hangs there, I can't get it boot to either Rockbox or the
ipod OS. The only option I see now is:
- Open up my ipod again
- Put the old drive in
- Uninstall the bootloader
- Put new drive in
- Try installing a new bootloader with the sector size expanded
- repeat until it works

Other notes:
When formatting the drive from iTunes, neither it nor the ipod OS had
any problem dealing with the new drive.

This brings my to my development question:
If I modify the sector sizes in "/firmware/export/config-ipodvideo.h"
to be 4096, should that solve my problem? And which of the 2 defines
to I modify? My guess would be the physical sector size since it is
dying during bootloading. Code snippet below:

/* define this if the device has larger sectors when accessed via USB */
/* (only relevant in disk.c, fat.c now always supports large virtual sectors) */
#define MAX_LOG_SECTOR_SIZE 2048

/* define this if the hard drive uses large physical sectors (ATA-7 feature) */
/* and doesn't handle them in the drive firmware */
#define MAX_PHYS_SECTOR_SIZE 1024

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide. Also, thanks for all
the work on Rockbox over the years (I know I've been using it for
years).

Surviving on my H140 for the time being,
Steve Martin

P.S. If you want to get your own 240gb drive to play with, they are
now available from the following vender (very prompt service BTW):

http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/3119-hard-drive-disk-mk2431gah.html