Subject: Lyre DAP -- Rockbox Player new name

Lyre DAP -- Rockbox Player new name

From: Casainho <>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:20:31 +0000

Hello :-)

Because of this reason: ,

we had change the name from "Rockbox Player" to "Lyre".

We wanted a name from an animal (nature connection) and we think of a
hardware running Rockbox as colorful (Rockbox themes are great!) and
with great sound. We had a few names but we ended up with "Lyre":

"A Lyrebird is either of two species of ground-dwelling Australian
birds, most notable for their superb ability to mimic natural and
artificial sounds from their environment."

Wikipedia: ; Youtube:

But wait, Lyre is also the name of an instrument:

"The lyre (from Greek λύρα - lyra) is a stringed musical instrument
well known for its use in classical antiquity and later. The
recitations of the Ancient Greeks were accompanied by lyre playing."

Wikipedia: ; Youtube:

So we have both, the name of a bird and of an instrument.

I want to ask to some admin of Rockbox wiki, to please change the name
of wiki pages for this new name.
List admin: