Subject: Re: More 240gb drive issues

Re: More 240gb drive issues

From: Steve Martin <>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:05:12 -0400

>On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Steve Martin <> wrote:
>> Well, I thought I was golden with my max physical sector size hack,
>> however, when I loaded up the drive (using the ipod disk mode to about
>> 75% capacity which took almost 24 hours) it doesn't see all the files
>> or directories when browsing.  I can see them when I mount the player
>> using the ipod disk mode.
>Have you seen and does it
>offer any clues?

OK, thanks to the advice of Antony to check out the "BigDisk" doc, I
tried defining HAVE_LBA48, for the extended disk addressing. This
seems to have done the trick. Thanks!!

So, here is what I've had to do to get things working with the Toshiba
MK2431GAH 240gb drive:

1. Make the following changes in

/* define this if the hard drive uses large physical sectors (ATA-7 feature) */
/* and doesn't handle them in the drive firmware */
#define HAVE_LBA48

2. Recompile both the bootloader and the normal install.

3. Install the newly created files on to the ipod

4. Install the newly created bootloader using some varient of:
ipodpatcher.exe -a bootloader-ipodvideo.ipod

5. Voila! Your done.

Thanks again to all,
Steve Martin
List admin: