Subject: Re: Help needed - building rombox

Re: Help needed - building rombox

From: R.L. Horn <lists_at_eastcheap.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:54:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Michael Hentschel wrote:

> I have an Archos Recorder V1 with 8MB RAM and RockBox flashed (no
> BootBox yet). I would like to run RockBox directly from ROM (RomBox). I
> searched the archives and found some hints that RomBox is built no more
> for recorders since it has become too large.

> My question is: can I fit RomBox in my flash if I (install BootBox, of
> course and) disable some features I don't need (eg. the tag database)?

Have you looked at http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/RomBox ?
It sounds as though it describes exactly what you're proposing. I.e.,
comment out "#define HAVE_TAGCACHE" in config-[whatever] and modify
tools/configure so as to build rombox.ucl by uncommenting "archosrom=..."
for your target.

As to whether or not you can then successfully cram the resulting
rombox.ucl into the ROM, I've no idea.