Subject: Re: Choice of Desktop Software for use with Rockbox?

Re: Choice of Desktop Software for use with Rockbox?

From: Antony Stone <>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:47:22 +0100

On Sunday 12 April 2009 15:32, Adam Golding wrote:

> ...rockbox will not write tags from the db to the files (because it would be
> hard on the flash, I think I was told--although as an owner of a hard drive
> player (ipod 5.5G) I can almost wish this were possible)

Hm, if that's true (ie: that the facility wouldn't be too hard to implement,
but is not done because of the effect of re-writes on flash memory), could it
be coded on a per-platform basis, so that known flash-based players don't do
it, but known hard-drive-based players do?

Possibly have it as a user-settable option (with appropriate caveats regarding
wearing out the flash), with the default value set as above according to the
device Rockbox is installed on?

I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.
 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.
List admin: