Subject: Disk spins out of control on iPod Video

Disk spins out of control on iPod Video

From: Jason Voegele <jason_at_jvoegele.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:47:31 -0400

Hi all,

I've been using Rockbox, mostly happily, for quite a while on my iPod Video.
I'm currently running the latest release build 3.2.

I occasionally have a problem when I power up my iPod and start playing some
music or a podcast where the hard disk spins like crazy and I am unable to
interact with the device for literally several minutes. This morning, for
instance, I started playing a podcast playlist from my "Recent Bookmarks" and
the hard disk churned for over four minutes before I could do anything with
the iPod. Sometimes when this happens the audio plays correctly but I cannot
pause or rewind or anything. Other times, even the audio does not play and it
just sits there chugging away at the hard disk for what seems like forever.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I might go about
fixing it? I thought that maybe it was the "Load Database to RAM" option that
was the culprit, but this happens (occasionally) whether I have that set to
yes or no, so it must be something else.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
Jason Voegele
"A car is just a big purse on wheels."