Subject: RE: Disk spins out of control on iPod Video

RE: Disk spins out of control on iPod Video

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:33:33 +0000

> From: jason_at_jvoegele.com
> To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
> Subject: Re: Disk spins out of control on iPod Video
> Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:16:14 -0400
>
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009 11:20:34 am Antony Stone wrote:
> > Is it re-indexing the files?
> >
> > I don't remember the exact option to control this (and I can't find a
> > searchable version of the manual online jst at the moment), but I'm sure
> > there is one.
>
> Hi Anthony, thanks for the response. Are you referring to the "Auto Update"
> database setting? If so, then that's not it. I turned that off a while ago
> thinking it might be the reason for this behavior, but I'm afraid it had no
> effect. Sorry I forgot to mention this point previously.
>
> --
> Jason Voegele
> Monday is an awful way to spend one seventh of your life.

I don't know if this would be helpful because something like this happened to me once before, and I had an old beat-up iPod with the HD replaced with a used one. When I put the used HD in my iPod, I thought iTunes would do a thorough format of the drive. It seems to simply to a quick format and the iPod would seem to hang playing music while the controls were inoperable while the HD spun up at full speed for quite a bit. I bought one of those adapters that allows you to hook up an iPod HD to a desktop machine. With the iPod HD and a CD rom, I booted Darik's boot and nuke CD (http://www.dban.org/) and proceeded to do a simple wipe of all zeroes with no verify. After 'nuking' the data on the iPod HD, I re-installed it back in the iPod and had iTunes restore it. This time iTunes took longer to restore, and I assume it's because it really had to do a full reformat the drive. It may be possible to restore it on a Mac and then a Win machine. I've never done a Mac/Win thing with my iPod, but I believe it may work because Mac uses a different format than Windows would and would cause the Win machine to force a full format.