Subject: Re: Disk spins out of control on iPod Video

Re: Disk spins out of control on iPod Video

From: Antony Stone <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:15:32 +0100

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 17:33, Jammit Timmaj wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Disk spins out of control on iPod Video
> > Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:16:14 -0400
> >
> > On Tuesday 14 April 2009 11:20:34 am Antony Stone wrote:
> > > Is it re-indexing the files?
> > >
> > > I don't remember the exact option to control this
> >
> > Hi Antony, thanks for the response. Are you referring to the "Auto
> > Update" database setting? If so, then that's not it.
> >
> I don't know if this would be helpful because something like this happened
> to me once before, and I had an old beat-up iPod with the HD replaced with
> a used one. When I put the used HD in my iPod, I thought iTunes would do a
> thorough format of the drive. It seems to simply to a quick format

> I booted Darik's boot and nuke CD ( and proceeded to do
> a simple wipe of all zeroes with no verify. After 'nuking' the data on the
> iPod HD, I re-installed it back in the iPod and had iTunes restore it. This
> time iTunes took longer to restore, and I assume it's because it really had
> to do a full reformat the drive. It may be possible to restore it on a Mac
> and then a Win machine.

If you have access to a Linux system a simple "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde"
where 'sde' is the name of your plugged-in device will achieve the same

Note that this will nuke the entire drive including the partition table, so
only do this if you know you have a means of re-partitioning and reformatting
the drive afterwards (I know nothing about how iPod drives are formatted; if
it's a standard FAT16 or FAT32 then there should be no problem).

Your work is both good and original.  Unfortunately the parts that are good
aren't original, and the parts that are original aren't good.
 - Samuel Johnson
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.
List admin: