Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Some thoughts

Re: Some thoughts

From: Constantine <tcwood12_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:35:51 -0600

From: "Paul Louden" <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>

> There's a difference between "helping someone who's making an effort" and
> "helping someone who refuses to take the first basic step."
How do you know he didn't read the manual and not understandd it? Obviously
he read the dang manual otherwise he wouldn't have been able to get rockbox
installed, am I right?

>> I submit that someone else rather interested in truly helping people out
>> take your place.
> Nobody is assigned to do this. Nor is anyone paid. You're welcome to take
> my place and attempt to help people, as long as you also encourage them to
> follow the list guidelines. Among those - don't top post. One you yourself
> have apparently ignored.

There you go again. In fact, I might add, he wasn't top posting. How can you
call that top posting?

>> Forgive me for being so blunt, but, simply put, concerning your ridgid
>> aproach, Erin and the rest of us are write and you are not!
>> Accessibility of this technology is difficult at best for most of us out
>> here. Especially for those of us who are newly blinded and over 50.
> Are you saying our website has accessibility issues? We'd love to hear
> about specific issues so that we can attempt to correct them. But you'll
> note nobody cited any accessibility issues in these threads. Is it
> difficult to find the link for the manual?
He's not stating that at all. WHat, in fact, he's trying to say is that no
matter how accessible the website, a blind folks might still have a hard
time navigating the site, maybe because they don't have the knolidge they
need to use a screen reader with a web browser or they're not sure what part
of the manual to look at.

>> I add that there are areas of the manual that I have read that are not
>> very clear.
> Again, I'm more than happy to answer questions about statements in the
> manual that are confusing. But you'll note in the prior thread the manual
> wasn't even referenced by the person seeking help.
>> You guys should change your tough nosed attitude and start offering some
>> real help.
> This list isn't here to answer questions already covered in the manual.
> We'd like to keep the level of "noise" fairly low. That means asking
> people to read the manual first, as well as FAQs when appropriate. These
> weren't created to be ignored, and many of us subscribed to the list do
> want to help, but don't want to receive dozens of emails about things
> we've already spent our time writing about.

Really? What kind of questions would those be? Seriously I know there's a
manual and all, but sony has a tech support page for those who read the
manual and still have problems.

> I could claim you're equally hard-nosed in your unwillingness to read the
> basic documentation before asking for help. We're happy to answer
> questions, but not those we've spent plenty of time already answering in
> the form of our manual. If that manual is unclear, on the other hand, let
> us know where and we'll do our best to clarify and explain what it says.

There you go, yet again. Unwillingness to read? He's read it, he said in his
message. How can you asume he hasn't?

> And if you have a question not covered in it, of course, that's also
> another matter.
>
> To say "we're wrong" simply because the list has guidelines is you saying
> your opinion matters more than those of the project organizers over their
> list. This project doesn't belong to you. No offense, but you depend on it
> more than it depends on you. At least making the simple effort to read the
> documentation first is not too much to ask, and never will be no matter
> how you attempt to phrase your objection to being asked to read the
> manual.
I don't mind reading a manual. Its when I get yelled at for not reading it
is when it annoys me, even though I have read it. Just because someons
message says nothing about the manual doesn't mean they haven't read it! You
readily asume the person hasn't read the manual so you point them to it.
You know, this might help. Why not copy and paste directions directly from
the manual? Maybe that will help ease the tension around here. If you say
its quite easy to find each segment of the manual, that is. It would sure
help me if I was a newbie to this, especially if I was 60 years old and
couldn't understand it.

And that's all I'll say here.

> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> List admin: http://cool.haxx.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
> FAQ: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GeneralFAQ
> Etiquette: http://www.rockbox.org/mail/etiquette.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------
List admin: http://cool.haxx.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
FAQ: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GeneralFAQ
Etiquette: http://www.rockbox.org/mail/etiquette.html
Received on 2009-04-23


Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa