Subject: Re: Problems with the Sansa e280

Re: Problems with the Sansa e280

From: Antony Stone <>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:39:17 +0100

On Saturday 25 April 2009 13:30, Donald Perley wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Christopher Chaltain <
>> wrote:
> > . I'm running Rockbox version 3.2, which I believe is the latest.
> >
> > It sounds like you're saying this isn't necessary in the newish versions
> > of Rockbox, and that I can enable the USB stack in Rockbox. It sounds
> > like this is the default, but this isn't the behaviour I'm seeing on my
> > rockbox. Is there a way to configure this? I didn't see anything in the
> > Rockbox menus or the documentation for Rockbox on the Sansa players.
> In the release notes for 3.2 it says that USB is not enabled for stability
> reasons (not clear what they are).

Here's part of a thread from the developers' list, just before 3.2 was frozen
for release:

> the rockbox USB stack has been enabled for
> PortalPlayer devices for a while now. It works fine for most people,
> but some people are having problems.
> Those problems usually cause unexpected disconnects after a while,
> during file transfers (i.e. the OS stops talking to the DAP). This
> is basically equivalent to unplugging the device while a transfer is
> in progress, so the risk of filesystem corruption is pretty high. I've
> only heard of this happening on sansa so far, but I don't know if this
> means that other targets are immune.

The decision at the end of the discussion thread was to leave USB disabled to
avoid the risk of file loss / data corruption. A fix was being worked on and
therefore may be part of the next release.

"The problem with television is that the people must sit and keep their eyes
glued on a screen; the average American family hasn't time for it."
 - New York Times, following a demonstration at the 1939 World's Fair.
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.