Subject: Questions regarding recording FM

Questions regarding recording FM

From: David Uthmann <david.uthmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:35:51 -0700

Hello all,

I am looking at getting a new MP3 player for a specific business need, which
requires some specific functionality that appears to be less than common in
most current players.

Specifically, I need to be able to record from FM radio to MP3, in time
lengths up to 4 hours at a time, with 8-10 sessions before I can download
the data to a PC. I have used my H320 with that functionality for several
years now, and have loved the additional functionality that Rockbox has
given it. But, new I need a new device, and I'm trying to find a device that
will do what I want.

I had almost given up on that functionality, and was considering having to
kludge together a system, when I came upon a review of the Sandisk e200
series players that indicates that it does record from the FM radio.
However, it looks like the e200 series can only record to WAV with the stock
firmware (which will result in files sizes much larger , and I can't find
mention in the Rockbox manual that Rockbox supports recording the radio.

Can anyone either confirm for me that Rockbox can record from the FM radio
on the e200 series, or recommend a different player that can handle what I'm
trying to accomplish - Rockboxed or not?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Dave