Subject: Odd problem with a modified iPod

Odd problem with a modified iPod

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 05:04:04 +0000

Since this iPod has been modified, I won't be offended about getting a "I don't know" response.
I have a fourth gen greyscale iPod that I've replaced the hard drive with a compact flash card with an adapter (I actually have two I've done this with, and both exhibit the same problem). They're both using Rockbox 3.2 and this odd behaviour doesn't happen with an actual hard drive installed. If I boot into Rockbox, play some music, pause it, and then leave it on pause for a long time (I don't know how long, I just know it's long enough for the display to shut off and the unit goes into "standby" or "shutdown" power save mode), when I click the center button (or any other click button to wake it up), the iPod shows an icon of an empty battery with an exclaimation point, indicating a low battery. I know the battery isn't dead (both have a new battery, and are fully charged) and the only way of removing the low battery warning is to open the device and disconnect the battery. Plugging it into a charger or a computer, or pressing and holding the two buttons for a system reset don't work. The thing I've been doing to prevent the need to pop open the case and remove the battery is to do a system reset back into the original Apple firmware and let the Apple firmware shut the unit down. As I've stated before, installing a normal hard drive doesn't show this kind of error and works normally.

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better.
-Laurie Anderson, Language is a Virus-

The glass is neither half full nor half empty, the glass has simply been over-engineered.
-Jammit-

The World Wide Web is text for people who can't read.
-Von- "Sisters of Mercy"

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.
-Frank Zappa-

I don't worry about terrorism. I was married for two years. - Sam Kinison

ICQ#45068833

MSN#jammit999_at_hotmail.SPAM.com

AIM#Jammit9999999999

Yahoo IM#jammit_the_original