Subject: Re: Rockbox on Pandora?

Re: Rockbox on Pandora?

From: Vladimir Pantelic <pan_at_nt.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:07:13 +0200

mat wrote:
>>> I'm soon to be receiving (hopefully) an (ARM based) Open Pandora
>>> Console:
>>>
>>> http://openpandora.org/
>>>
>>> ...and was sondering whether or not this would be a suitable device for
>>> porting Rockbox to. I mean, it's completely open and I understand it has
>>> the ability to decode hardware audio data in hardware (apparently giving
>>> the device a potential 100 hours playing time!)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I just wondered what folk in the know make of this idea?
>>
>> given that is is based on an OMAP3 with a 3000+ page manual, I would
>> propose you use Linux on it and make rockbox an app running on Linux.
>
> That is certainly an option but I was under the impression that battery
> life could be vastly improved if the only piece of software running on the
> device was Rockbox itself. Of course, I could be very wrong here...

OMAP3 has quite good power management under linux. Also, consider that you
would have to rewrite all the existing linux drivers for all the OMAP3
features that you want to use.

BTW, I doubt that the pandora has extra HW to decode audio in HW,
OMAP3 has enough power to do audio in SW (and still be bored most of the time)