Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 02:10:01 +0200

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:57:49 -0500
Guest3731 <notconfusedaboutthattoday_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems your expectations are so different from most peoples' that
> you will not be able to be happy as a support person. Most people
> who ask questions on lists like these are semi-technical, or
> non-technical people, who expect, and typically get, a fair degree of
> hand-holding (i.e. it's usually o.k. to ask dumb questions, and only
> asking the same dumb question more than once will generally call for
> an application of the Clue-bat - same goes for mailing-list
> etiquette). Rockbox is in an unusual space - it's a pretty
> sophisticated product,

I understand "product" here as a marketing term, which seems
inappropriate for rockbox.

> that really requires some technical know-how
> to fully appreciate. But it's also clearly something that will
> appeal to non-technical users - it's an upgrade of a product that
> everybody's got. So you kind of have to choose - do you want wider
> appeal?

Personally I want to develop, not to reach an audience.

I haven't asked the other developers if they are in the project to have
fun, or to have a market share, but I *really* hope it's the first
option.

If people are happy with rockbox that's fine, but I will not run after
them so they can use rockbox.

> If so, you're going to get top-posters and non-trimmers, and
> yes, sorry, they're not going to get it when you make an issue over
> mailing-list etiquette. An appreciation of mailing-list etiquette is
> geeks-only territory. Most people don't, and won't, read Manuals.
> You can be upset about this, and stop making the product, but you
> can't change people.

hundred subscribers each and we want order and proper netiquette to be
followed for things to run smooth. *Please* read this before you decide
to post to any of our lists. "

The link to the etiquette specifically mentions top posting.

I can make an analogy with cars, most people don't and won't strictly
conform to speed limits, but the rule is still there, and for a reason.

> As for your understanding of the nature of the "agreement" that an
> enduser makes, implicitly, by posting to a technical mailing list -
> wow. No, sorry, your attitude is extraordinarily, drastically
> different than the attitudes of most technically-savvy, seasoned
> Usenet/mailing list types, not to mention your run-of-the-mill
> non-technical FAQ-asker. Nobody sees posting to a mailing list as an
> acknowledgment of a moral contract not to top-post, etc.. Everyone
> sees list guidelines as precisely that, guidelines, suggestions - if,
> that is, they've even read them. Sorry, this is just reality.

That's a really strong suggestion then, and if people thought it was
just something they could ignore, i think reminding them it really is
not the case is the right thing to do.

- --
Rafaël Carré