Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: Guest <notconfusedaboutthattoday_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:29:57 -0500

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Rafal Carr<rafael.carre_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:57:49 -0500
> Guest3731 <notconfusedaboutthattoday_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems your expectations are so different from most peoples' that
>> you will not be able to be happy as a support person. Most people
>> who ask questions on lists like these are semi-technical, or
>> non-technical people, who expect, and typically get, a fair degree of
>> hand-holding (i.e. it's usually o.k. to ask dumb questions, and only
>> asking the same dumb question more than once will generally call for
>> an application of the Clue-bat - same goes for mailing-list
>> etiquette). Rockbox is in an unusual space - it's a pretty
>> sophisticated product,
>
> I understand "product" here as a marketing term, which seems
> inappropriate for rockbox.

I understand "product" to mean something that is constructed or
manufactured, and specifically something that's intended to be used by
strangers. If it's got a mailing list, and a user manual, and a
website - it's a product.

>> that really requires some technical know-how
>> to fully appreciate. But it's also clearly something that will
>> appeal to non-technical users - it's an upgrade of a product that
>> everybody's got. So you kind of have to choose - do you want wider
>> appeal?
>
> Personally I want to develop, not to reach an audience.

[snip]

Again, I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm not trying to say
that the dev team is wrong in *any way*.

All I'm saying is that the situation with respect to top-posting
newbies is *completely hopeless*. If you have a mailing list, people
are going to mess up. If you yell at them, they're not going to get
it, and they'll eventually go away. If you don't mind, then there's
no problem. But the bottom line is that whatever you write in the
mailing list guidelines is going to be completely ignored by 99% of
posters, no matter how right you are to have included it, and no
matter how wrong they are to do so. That's all I'm saying.