Subject: RE: apology

RE: apology

From: Dj Paddy <mygroups_at_djpaddy.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:08:51 +0100

From: rockbox-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se [mailto:rockbox-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se] On
Behalf Of Leonard Morris
Sent: 20 June 2009 18:15
Subject: apology

Paul said, "Apparently I'm too arrogant for my own good. Or something. It's
not
something I understand, and that's why I'm writing this."

I was rather surprised by this post from you. It's a heck of a indication of
a man with good character who is willing to admit to a negative perception
that others may perceive. I am not sure I could have been so publicly honest
if it were me. Having said that I need to say you are a very smart and
learnit man. I read your posts offering insight and assistance to the
rockbox community and I heard you speak on a podcast once. I find your
assistance much appreciated. However, speaking for myself I only really had
a issue concerning your ridiculus obsession with top posting guidelines and
you not just answering some peoples question by referring everyone to go
back to the manual. the manual is just another tool and sometimes people
just want to know something quickly. After all I am certainly not going to
read the Windows Microsoft manual or the Jaws screenreader manual every time
I need to know how to perform a specific task. That's to me why people join
lists. Of course what you decide to do with your time and how you contribute
to the Rockbox community is your business but because you are so
knowledgeable I think your drastic action to leave the Rockbox staff is over
reacting. "

 There's an interesting point raised by Leonard here. Referring people to
the manual. this has been an age-old issue on the net. We've all heard the
jokes and saw the quotes about RTFM. So I'm genuinely, no reading between
lines required Just wondering lol what is the point in a support list? if
there's a manual and all the information is there then why have support
lists? is it for the small number of or large number, whichever the case
may be questions that aren't' covered in the manual and nothing more?

I have to throw in that I'm sure it must be frustrating for all the people
who do genuinly put allot of work in writing things down to as they'lls ee
have it ignored.

Now it is true that RB could be considered not a newbie thing to be messing
around with, because of altering firmware's and so on. However, with the
ability to be able to use the RB utility, surely this is going to mean more
non-technically minded folks will join lists such as this and not have
either thought to read the manual but also been maybe a bit intimidated by
the manual. Or as Leonard has mentioned here just wanted a quick-answer.
I'm sure if we're all honest we've done this more than enough, either by
laziness posted a list and waited rather than trying to help ourselves or
simply just not having the resources or in some cases ability to "Google"
answers. if everyone was able to help-themselves allot of us who have jobs
in support would find ourselves expendable.

Barry.