Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: Christopher Chaltain <cchaltain_at_austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 04:28:49 -0500

On 6/21/2009 4:05 AM, Paul Louden wrote:
> someone on another website mention Rockbox and get a response like
> "yeah, the software is awesome but their support is terrible" and it's
> impossible for me not to think that, in a not insignificant part, I'm
> responsible for that. I'd like our support to be excellent, and I feel
> that it is. But I also am unable to come to terms with why the things
> I do upset people the way they do, and I don't want that bad image
> reflecting on Rockbox.

That's a shame that Rockbox support has that reputation. I don't know of many other open source projects that have documentation as well written as Rockbox's, and in fact, I've paid for quite a few applications with documentation that doesn't measure up to Rockbox's. I also don't think there are too many applications, open source or not, that come out with releases as frequently as Rockbox does or has such an active development community. Rockbox is one of the more polished open source programs I'm aware of, and I don't know of many products where you're going to find the developers out on mailing lists. It's a shame that Rockbox support should suffer just because it doesn't have a user only mailing list on Yahoo.

On a related thought, maybe so many people don't go to the user manual because they've been burned so many times in the past by non-existent or poorly written manuals. I think someone on this list even said something about how they would never think to go to the Windows documentation. Well, maybe it needs to be pointed out that the Rockbox documentation is a valuable source of information and shouldn't be judged by the documentation for other products.

--
Christopher
cchaltain_at_austin.rr.com