Subject: Top Posting/ Bottom Posting (was: Re: apology)

Top Posting/ Bottom Posting (was: Re: apology)

From: Ed Nickl <pioneer4x4_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:40:15 -0400

> I am often wondering why people are top-posting at all. They have to be
> annoyed by this kind of replies too when they read them. But it seems they
> don't even notice the difference.

I do it by default, this is the only place I access that encourages/enforces
bottom posting. I understand the reasons, I don't really agree, but I do
try to remember to do it the way this list is setup. I am on several email
lists, mainly automotive and computer related, as well as my corporate
email, and all top post, the bottom is just left for reference if you need
to refresh what the topic is about. One thing I 'try' to remember, but
rarely do, is making sure the subject is still appropriate. This in my
opinion is one of the most important parts of an email list, other than
content moderation.

The best email list I am on is for a niche vehicle, that is long out of
production. The lists rules are very strict, and moderation was extremely
strict. Violate a rule, and 1-3 days suspension, repeat violation,
permanent suspension. All topics/emails had to directly relate to the list.

What is more important to me is trying to keep it uniform, and since this
list is bottom post only, if someone replies at the top, it might not be
noticed.