Subject: Re: Rockbox User Con

Re: Rockbox User Con

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:35:55 -0500

Paul Louden wrote:
> alex wallis wrote:
>> So I would be very interested in attending such an event, though after
>> September it will be a bit harder for me to attend anything, so my
>> vote if we start thinking about locations and dates would be before
>> september.
> It's really far too late to try to plan something like this now. You
> should start planning for next year, or at least next major holiday
> period. You still need to find a location, arrange what's going to
> happen during that period, everyone needs to arrange transportation and
> possibly time off, make rooming reservations, etc. These things are much
> easier and cheaper if you have time to do so.
> Really, there's not too much point in even discussing this until
> someone's ready to say "I'm willing to host a user gathering and have a
> suitable location." Until then, you're mostly wishing for someone else
> to do something.

Paul, your thoughts were *not* solicited. This is for Users, not Devs.

Some of your comments are useful and thoughtful, but please do not
presume to instruct the users as to how they want *their* cons to be
hosted. Some developers seem to be interested in helping to host a con,
but you are not required to participate, and if you don't like the
agenda, you may stay away.

I am open to suggestions as to how to improve the con, Paul, but please
allow the users to express themselves without your veto. I suggest you
send your comments to me off list or send them to the dev list.

This is not a con for this year. This is not even a con for next year.
    This is a hypothetical con.

This is a run-it-up-the-flagpole-and see-who-salutes message, not a
let's get down to business message.

Mark Allums