Subject: Re: question about managing dynamic playlists.

Re: question about managing dynamic playlists.

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:58:31 +0100

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:41:22AM +0100, alex wallis wrote:
>> Wouldn't it make more logical sense to store the dynamic playlist
>> information in some kind of folder perhaps where the playlist catalogue
>> stores its playlists when you create them. As then if it was stored in
>> some
>> kind of logical folder called playlists or playlist info it would be
>> obvious
>> where a person should go if they wanted to copy across dynamic playlist
>> information. I might start a feature request for that on the forum.
>> Perhaps even better might be a patch which would allow you to set a
>> default
>> location to store a dynamic playlist when it is created so that even if
>> you
>> delete your rockbox build from the player and unzip a completely fresh
>> folder your playlist information will be preserved. So you could set a
>> particular location maybe remembered in your config.cfg file, and then
>> after
>> that no need to worry about losing dynamic playlist information.
>

> The same question could be asked for configuration or any kind of dynamic
> data
> (games highscores, ...). If they were stored outside .rockbox, one could
> more
> easily swap between different versions of the software[*], but what would
> happen if the format of the data changes? Upgrades can probably be
> supported,
> but downgrades?

Well, this would be up to a user to set a location.

I was thinking though it would be nice to have data such as information
about dynamic playlists stored in a really obvious folder.
That way a user could know instantly He needs to copy across that folder to
a new build, or to back that folder up for safe keeping rather than just
leaving random files scattered in the main .rockbox root folder, which apart
from anything else in my view is just untidy as well.
Even if it was decided that a user shouldn't be able to set a storage
location for such data, it would be nice if there was some kind of central
folder that stored things such as settings, playlist information highscores
or whatever under the main .rockbox root folder.