Subject: Re: question about managing dynamic playlists.

Re: question about managing dynamic playlists.

From: R.L. Horn <lists_at_eastcheap.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 21:42:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, alex wallis wrote:

>> It would be much easier to just overwrite, rather than delete, the
>> existing .rockbox folder when you upgrade.
>
> I realise that, but if you do that, how do you no that you are not leaving
> outdated bits of your previous build lying around?

With find and diff, it's easy:

   find old/.rockbox -printf '%P\n' | sort > oldfiles
   find new/.rockbox -printf '$P\n' | sort > newfiles
   diff oldfiles newfiles

(What I actually do is compare versioned manifests generated by my build
scripts.)

If you put builds in tarballs, you needn't even go that far. Simply sort
and compare the output from "tar t". ("unzip -l" output has to be
filtered through "awk '{ print $4 }'" or somesuch, which probably isn't
reliable.)

Since the wps format has stabilized (for now), files don't go away all
that often. In fact, the last I explicitly remember was:

   < .../flashlight.rock
> .../lamp.rock

though I believe there may have been one or two since.

This all assumes, of course, that you're in a unixy environment or
otherwise have the usual utilities at hand. If you're running stock
w-----s with daily builds or the like, you may be SOL.