Subject: RE: apology

RE: apology

From: Sant, Nick (NY) <nsant_at_institutionalinvestor.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:03:06 -0400

> Scott J. Lopez said:
> Know what, you all can argue your petty posting rules all you want.
> Take a look back at the discussions on this mailing list for the past
> few months. I think you'll find more discussions on "etiquette" for
> this list than you will about the actual Rockbox software. Doesn't
> anyone think that's a problem? While you're all trying to tutor each
> other on how to post to each other you might want to brush up on
> manners, the attitudes on here are worse problems than having to
> scroll through a "top post."

Hi Scott, The issue here is that there would not be any discussion of
the rules (or people's idea of them) if the rules were followed by all
the users. There are links to an explanation of what top-posting is in
every single message on this list (see Etiquette in the email footer).

> Really, priorities here are certainly in the wrong place.
>
> As for the "real world" if any of the attitudes I've seen here were an
> employee of mine you'd be out looking for a new job. BOFH is meant to
> be a joke, not a guide now how to treat your fellow man.

Let's suppose that you hired someone who agreed to use your standard
office procedures, which includes filing an S-10 form for any expenses.
Then, instead of using the S-10 form for submitting their expenses,
simply attached a bunch of receipts to the incomplete S-10 form.
Would you explain why you expect them to complete the forms correctly,
as agreed, or just accept them as being understandable enough, and sign
off the expenses?
If the latter, how much (as a percentage) of your staff would it take so
that you would change the procedure?

> Thanks Rockbox, you were fun while you lasted, but I'm done putting up
> with this list.

The idea of someone stopping their use of Rockbox because they don't
like one avenue of optional support information is baffling to me.
Sure, unsubscribe from the list if you like. But you'd be cutting off
your nose to spite your face if you stop using Rockbox, IMHO.
Regardless on your feelings of how users are expected to ask questions
and use mail clients, surely you can see that Rockbox by itself is
remarkably more advanced than the Original Firmwares.

Cheers,

Nick.

P.S. Apologies for the upcoming mass of auto-generated signature.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient(s), any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by e-mail or by telephone at 212-224-3300 and then delete the e-mail and all attachments and any copies thereof.

Institutional Investor Inc. cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this e-mail, as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect that the e-mail may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender. Any views expressed by an individual in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the views of Institutional Investor Inc. This communication is from Institutional Investor Inc., a company incorporated in the State of Delaware in the United States of America and located at 225 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10003.