Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:00:48 -0500

Christopher Woods wrote:

> I don't think people should've been called out on the list,

The main advantage for reminding people on the list is that it makes it
clear when and how the rules are being enforced.

Every time I've contacted someone privately regarding it, I've had a
much harder time convincing people that these are actually the list
guidelines, and that they really are meant to be enforced. In fact, I've
generally got much, much more negative responses to private contacts,
including personal threats and in one case my having to threaten to
contact a user's ISP regarding their harassment of me.

By having it publicly stated occasionally, not only is it a reminder to
everyone but there's a public record of exactly how they were reminded
of the rules (was it a simple "We ask that you don't top post to this
list" or a much more negative "if you top post again you will be
banned") and that they *have* been reminded so that for future incidents
it's clear to everyone that they have in fact been made aware. It also
allows other list administrators to see clearly whether any specific
list admin is being particularly harsh about how they remind people of
the rules, and whether they think the enforcer or the user was the one
out of line if things escalate.

Basically, doing things in the open means there are no cover-ups.