Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: Adam Golding <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:08:17 -0400

I forgot to reply to all when making this post, which is important to
indicate I wasn't attempting to say anything negative by my first post:

2009/7/13 Rui Ara˙jo <>

> 2009/7/14 Adam Golding <>
>> I barely read this list, but have caught a lot of this 'top-posting'
>> debate, and Paul's apology. I have to point out that an insistence on
>> certain rigid styles of conversation is a hallmark of asperger's syndrome,
>> which is also very common among 'techies' and engineers and so on. Also
>> very typical of asperger's are Paul's claims to not understand the
>> 'subtleties' of language beyond literal communication. I recommend the
>> following questionnaire for everyone here, it should illuminate a fair bit:
> I am hoping that this is some kind of a joke or else I find these remarks
> very aggressive and completely unnecessary.
> Do you realize that the asperger's syndrome is a disease, and implying that
> someone on this list has it, is very "stupid"( sorry but I can't find a
> better word to describe the situation) ?!

If you would read the link on neurodiversity, you would realize that that is
a controversial opinion. It's not an opinion that I share. Many people
think that asperger's syndrome describes a valuable variation in human
cognitive profiles. No cognitive profile is without disadvantages,
however. There are also theories that attempt to explain some differences
in male- and female- typical cognitive styles in terms of the autism

The point is that empirical work in psychology should be brought to bear on
such social questions.