Subject: Re: apology

Re: apology

From: David Hall <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:25:12 -0400

Paul Louden wrote:
> David Hall wrote:
>> Perhaps off-list discussion is not the answer - but (IMHO) clearly
>> on-list discussion is not the answer.
> There's more or less only three options though <snip> The last one
> isn't going to make someone stop top posting, and between the first two
> despite these long discussions the public one has had the higher success
> rate for me.
Two things:
1 - It is easy to justify broken behavior (public, unproductive,
emotional fighting) when possibilities are defined in an artificially
narrow manner.

Amongst the many other possibilities are to change to a moderated list.

2 - "success rate" = what? Number of people who publicly admit they
were wrong? Number of people who change their behavior? Number of
times such bloated argumentative threads appear?

I would argue that if there were a success rate worth talking about
these (huge and emotional) threads would cease to exist. Period.
Anything else is failure.

How do you measure the numbers of people who leave offended?