Subject: RE: Enquiry about latest IPods and Rockbox.

RE: Enquiry about latest IPods and Rockbox.

From: Hussein Patwa <rockbox_at_patwanet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:16:26 +0100

> Hi Maurice,
>
> Nobody makes plans for new ports - they are done by users who want to
> do
> them, and have spare time. Also, there's no way to know how long it
> would
> take to complete a port, including hacking the device to be able to run
> custom code on it.
>
> Basically, it's quite likely that Rockbox will never run on the
> Classic.
> And if it does, it will likely take years..
>
> pondlife
To add to pondlife's reply, my understanding is that the challenge with the
new iPods is that the encryption mechanisms have been changed. It's all
related to the on board chip, which is now not accessible without breaking
the locks on it. So, until that lock is broken, we can't get access to the
chip to have rockbox running as an alternative OS. The other possibility as
another member has posted is to have RB run as an application. However,
this has challenges in that there needs to be an accessible way for the
visually impaired to navigate the device to access the application in the
first place before they can run it.

I'm dreading the day when my own iPod gives up the ghost. Fortunately I
don't need the screen so it would have to be a drive fault or the battery
that does it. Then, well, the Toshiba's have always had good press, on
contrast to their laptops which, well that's going off on a tangent.

HTH.

database 4427 (20090915) __________

http://www.eset.com