Subject: Re: unable to get latest version of rockbox to work on old V1

Re: unable to get latest version of rockbox to work on old V1

From: Matthew Moore <anonymous.jondoe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:36:04 -0600

On Tuesday September 29 2009 5:36:10 pm Tom Cole wrote:
> Paul, I really feel sorry for you. Your inability to see anyone else's
> point of view but your own must be a great liability, to yourself and to
> the Rockbox project.

I have been subscribed to this mailing list for 2 years, but I have never had
reason to post. During this time, I have always thought that Paul has made
cogent arguments to back up what he says and that he was never unduly rude. In
fact, Paul would fit in on any of the 6 technical mailing lists that I am
subscribed to.

Paul was right, you were being an asshole. Frankly, idiots like you and the
others on this mailing list that *refuse* to follow anything resembling list
etiquette or do the most cursory search of the available documentation have
done more to sabotage the ability for this list (and associated archive) to be
any kind of resource for the Rockbox project than anything Paul could have
done.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar, but other open source projects have mailing lists
that are actually *useful resources* for the users. The users read the
documentation, file bug reports, and ask questions *after* making sure that the
solution is not immediately available via google or a search of the
documentation.

I think that the problem is that there is not a sufficient population of "good"
users on the list to force the "bad" users to change. Instead, the few good
users (Paul and others) get harassed by belligerent and ignorant "bad" users
(you and others). The fact that Paul has remained on this list is actually
amazing. If I were him, I would have bailed a couple of months ago when his
"I'm not going to tell people that they suck at following the etiquette"
thread garnered such hostile and unreasonable reactions.

Given the inane and truly pointless quality of traffic on the list over the last
2 days (I'm thinking of this thread), I have been considering unsubscribing
from the list. Reading this list is like reading USENET after AOL gave all of
its lusers access to it in '93.

MM