Subject: RE: apple iPod 6th gen.

RE: apple iPod 6th gen.

From: Hussein Patwa <>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:55:08 +0100

> is there a plan to port rockbox to the apple ipod 6th generation
> (video)?

I believe this has been discussed at some length on the Rockbox forums.
Although no hardware guru myself, my understanding is that Rockbox cannot
work on the iPod 6th gen in its current state due to protection mechanisms
employed by Apple. I believe this involves both a hardware encryption or
chip mechanism as well as software protections surrounding the song

Until someone finds a way around this, there will likely be no work done on
the iPod 6th gen. Then again, for any work to be done the legal
implications would have to be considered. Anything that required physical
tampering with the device could well ruffle feathers state-side. I think
there's a guide posted somewhere on the Wiki about how you can contribute to
new platform development, but it would mean starting with a lot of research
and information gathering.

database 4496 (20091010) __________