Subject: Re: Help on installing RB on an iRiver iHP-120 with firmware 1.17E

Re: Help on installing RB on an iRiver iHP-120 with firmware 1.17E

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:22:00 +0200

Wilfred wrote:
> Thanks for answering :-) I'm almost ready to take this step, but let me
> ask one thing more:
> In case the hardware of the Iriver has changed between firmware 1.17E
> and 1.66 there is a chance that I'll run into trouble.
> Do you happen to know if there's a way to
> make a backup of the original firmware? (I guess if
> things would go wrong(small chance), there is no-one that can help me
> out, so I would prefer to have such a backup solution)

No, there is no way you can backup the original firmware before
installing Rockbox. However, if you are worried that your hardware won't
support your player, I suggest this approach:

1) Upgrade to the latest genuine iriver firmware to see that it works
correctly. I'm sure that iriver wouldn't release firmware updates that
would trash your player.

2) Now when you see that it works with the latest iriver firmware,
proceed with installing Rockbox.

The Rockbox bootloader allows you to run the original firmware as well,
so you are safe once you have installed the bootloader successfully.

Linus